Columbus Community Safety Advisory Commission Meeting 6/13/2018
The Columbus Safety Advisory Commission holds a meeting on June 13, 2018, at the Reeb Avenue Center, located at 280 Reeb Ave., Columbus, Ohio 43207.
In November 2017, Mayor Andrew J. Ginther announced the creation of the Columbus Community Safety Advisory Commission. This Commission is focused on areas such as de-escalation, crisis intervention, and implicit bias training; use of force policies; diversity recruitment and retention; and early intervention and officer wellness programs.
In each area, the Commission will assess what the City of Columbus needs to do to provide public safety services that are transparent, accountable, and responsive for every person in every neighborhood.
Columbus needs a public, transparent community review of Columbus Police training, policies and procedures. The Commission’s review of Columbus Division of Police policies, training and procedures will help to inform its recommendation for proven safety strategies to meet our residents’ expectations and protect and serve our entire community.
A total of 17 commissioners have been appointed to the Commission. Janet Jackson is the chair of the Commission. She previously served as Columbus City Attorney, Franklin County Judge, and CEO of United Way of Central Ohio.
The city received 132 applications for the Columbus Community Safety Advisory Commission. Mayor Ginther requested recommendations that reflect diversity of thought, experience, and demographics.
The current commissioners are:
• Janet Jackson, Chair, United Way of Central Ohio (retired)
• Brooke Burns, Office of the Ohio Public Defender
• Emily Buster, Ethiopian Tewahedo Social Services
• LaShaun Carter, Franklin County Children Services
• Tammy Fournier-Alsaada, Ohio Organizing Collaborative
• Dr. Chenelle Jones, Franklin University
• Dr. Vlad Kogan, The Ohio State University
• Matthew McCrystal, Public Safety professional
• Ellen Moore Griffin, Community Crime Patrol
• Andrea Morbitzer, Nationwide Children's Hospital
• Pastor Jason Ridley, Allegheny West Conference of Seventh-Day Adventist
• Traci Shaw, Columbus Division of Police
• Erin Synk, LNE Group
• Oleatha Waugh, Columbus Urban League
• Mary Wehrle, Jewish Family Services
• Tiffany White, Progressive Insurance Companies
• Dr. Reginald Wilkinson, Connecting the Dots, LLC